Monday, July 6, 2009

FRUSTRATION, FRUSTRATION!

A few short years ago, I was soooo in love with gardening, I really wanted to open a nursery. Looking back, am I ever glad that we didn't LOL! I'm sure we all have hobbies that wane from year to year, and gardening has certainly turned out to be one of them!

We moved to this area, three years ago, to be closer to our daughter and grandson. The weather is milder than in the Ottawa area, where we used to live. I knew I really wanted to downsize my garden, but hubby decided he wanted a rose garden - he loves roses. Don't get me wrong, I love roses, but what I didn't know, was how hard they are to look after! Between the black spot or mold, aphids and caterpillars that eat ALL of the leaves, it seems we spend more time looking after them then we do, enjoying the roses - frustrating!

My favourites are the cottage type gardens - foxglove, hollyhocks, delphiniums, echinacea, beebalm, etc. Well, this past two years, the summers have been soooo wet, it's affecting everything. The hollyhocks have some sort of fungus on half of the leaves, and the rest look like lace, as everything but the veins have been eaten! The delphiniums are so tall and heavy, most have broken off in the rain and I've only just managed to stake the last few. The bee balm already has mold on the leaves and I am just about ready to plow the entire thing under and plant grass. I did manage to get a few pictures of what is left of my garden - enjoy them before it's all gone LOL!!

A pale English rose

My favourite pale pink foxglove

A scarlet rose


A white rose

A pale purple campanella

A dwarf pink Dahlia

A tiny pink Fairy rose bush

A blue delphinium

A white delphinium

A very tall pink delphinium

A favourite lavender

A miniature blue delphinium

3 comments:

customteddys said...

Brenda your flowers are beautiful ! I know what you mean about gardening in the rain. I live in a rain forest and every year I fight the same battle as you are. However this year it has been sunny and hot and gardening is the joy it is supposed to be!! Hugs from Vicki

Brenda said...

Thanks, Vicki! Im sure you do understand, living in your climate. It would just be nice to see the entire garden bloom as it is supposed to, just one year LOL!

Lynn said...

Beautiful flowers Brenda. We had a very cold spring here so our flowers are looking a little below average. Hopefully next year will be better for us all.

Lynn